Hillary Arrow Boothhbooth@BoothLLP.com
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- General Liability
Ms. Booth is an experienced litigator who successfully represents clients in jury trials, court trials, administrative hearings, arbitrations, and proceedings involving injunctive relief. Ms. Booth handles cases throughout California, including cases involving lost or damaged freight, employment related harassment and discrimination, wage and hour disputes, safety and regulatory violations, negligent conduct causing injury, commercial tenancy issues, construction defects, and partnership dissolutions. Ms. Booth is experienced in litigation involving complex financial agreements, including those used in the entertainment business. Ms. Booth is also an experienced appellate attorney with published decisions entitled Timberline, Inc. v. Jaisinghani (1997) 54 Cal.App.4th 1361, and BreakZone Family Billiards v. The City of Torrance(2000) 81 Cal.App.4th 1205.
In addition to litigation matters, Ms. Booth prepares the unique documents required in the transportation industry, including broker-motor carrier agreements, lease agreements, shipper agreements, and inter-line agreements. She advises brokers and motor carriers on insurance coverage issues and risk avoidance. She also advises employers on compliance with California labor laws, and prepares handbooks and employment related policies.
Ms. Booth began her legal career with the international law firm of Bryan Cave, LLP, where she gained experience in a wide range of business litigation matters. Thereafter, she was a founding member of Gardner & Booth, a litigation firm which represented clients in business related disputes, and where she focused her practice on the transportation industry. Just prior to founding Booth LLP, Ms. Booth, Ms. Booth was a partner in Dongell Lawrence Finney LLP.
- California State University, Northridge, BA Economics 1983
- Southwestern University School of Law, JD 1986
- Moot Court Honors Program
- American Trial Lawyers Association Trial Advocacy Competition
- Dean's Honor List, 1984-1985
Admissions and Memberships
- The State Bar of California, 1986
- United States District Court, 1987
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1989
- California Trucking Association
- Board of Directors
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Officer, Secretary/Treasurer
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "How Effective Implementation and Management of Internal Corporate Policies Can Eliminate Claims and Make Lawsuits Defensible," Speaker, Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, April 2015
- "Law of the Land, Law of the Jungle," Speaker, Transportation & Logistics Council, Orlando, FL, March 2015
- "Cargo Claims: What Carriers, Freight Brokers, and Shippers Can Learn From the Latest Developments," Speaker, American Conference Institute, Trucking Litigation seminar, Chicago, IL, March 2014.
- "Law of the Land, Law of the Jungle," Speaker, Transportation & Logistics Council 40th Annual Conference held in Nashville, TN, March 2014.
- "Independent Contractors and Employee Drivers: Your Greatest Assets and Your Greatest Risks," Speaker, California Trucking Association 2014 Annual Membership Conference in Newport Beach, CA.
- "Liars, Lawyers, and the Ethics of Deception," Speaker, Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association, Annual Conference, September 2012.
- "Defense Litigation Strategies for Handling Claims Based on Safety Regulations, Including CSA and Hours of Service," Moderator, The 44th Transportation Law Institute, Washington, D.C., November 2011.
- "Sailing through the Himalayas: Charting the Course of Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, LTD. v. Regal-Beloit Corp. and Cases Following in its Wake," Speaker, The 44th Transportation Law Institute, Washington, D.C., November 2011.
- "Employees: Your Greatest Asset and Greatest Risk," Speaker, California Trucking Association, San Bernardino/Riverside Unit, November 2011.
- "Employee Classification Workshop," Speaker, California Trucking Association, Oakland, CA, September 2011.
- "Incorporating New Developments by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration into Your Litigation Strategy," Speaker, American Conference Institute, March 2011.
- "Should I Stay or Should I Go? Understanding and Managing Ethical Conflicts that Arise in a Transportation Practice," Moderator, Transportation Lawyers Association, Chicago Regional Seminar, January 2011.
- "The Riddle of the Broker: How Brokers' Expanding Roles Expand Their Liability," Article, published in The Transportation Lawyer, 2010.
- "Safety and Security Regulation and its Impact Upon Casualty and Freight Loss Litigation," Speaker, Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference, May 2009.
- "Transportation Attorney Panel," Speaker, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association Annual Conference, April 2009.
- "There Goes the Neighborhood: Potential Tort Liability for Diesel Emissions," Article, published in The Transportation Lawyer, 2009.
- "Boats, Trucks, Trains, and Air: Regulating Diesel Impacts Associated with the Shift Toward Off-Shore Manufacturing," Speaker, California Bar Association, Environmental Committee Annual Conference, August 2008.
- "Regulating Environmental Correctness: the Transportation Industry is the Next Target," Speaker, Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference, May 2008.